Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pre Dance Class

One of the greatest surprises of my year has been predance class.

I never intended to start teaching predance. I like my Irish dancers, thank you. But when we needed to find a new predance teacher, I kind of had to pick it up.

I figured it was no big deal. I had been teaching small children for years. Just not a whole group of them in a class by themselves. Normally, the younger ones dance with, and learn from, the older ones in Irish dance classes.

But I was a bit nervous because these classes are geared specifically towards 3-5 year olds and the teacher (me) has to keep them focused and entertained for the entire class.

My first predance class was bitter sweet. A beautiful three year old who was very suspicious of me. She refused to dance. Flat out refused. So I did the only thing I could. I made her dad do the class. It was funny and cute, but man was I sweating! In all of my years of teaching, I had never been so intimidated. And by a three year old! Oh my!

Since then, I think I have found my stride with these classes. In fact, they are quickly becoming my favorites. I found that if I used the same combinations and music every class, the kids knew what to expect and were, generally, more cooperative and focused. The added benefit was really getting to see that 3 year olds can memorize combinations, begin to use their hands and feet together in combinations and learn basic Irish dance technique (I can't leave that out!)

I am working on new combinations for my predancers now that they have more or less mastered the other ones.

The challenges involved here include finding the happy medium between what is too easy and what is too difficult. Movements that we might think are so simple (like jumping from one foot to another) are really difficult for a child that is just learning to walk. And little ones get frustrated easily. I have done a lot of research to find out what a predance students should know by the time they enter a beginning ballet or tap class. I have also looked into what yoga poses are appropriate for toddlers and small children and other fun games and exercises to help them develop their gross motor skills.

I throw in the basics of Irish dance halfway through the class. Since the class is so small (usually 5 students), I do these movements one on one with each child. It gives the other ones a chance to rest and gives me a chance to interact with each child personally.

Another challenge is music. Do we use Disney? Personally, I can only handle so much Ariel and Cinderella. Plain old classical? Maybe...but the little ones seem to like words. I wanted to find stuff that the parents wouldn't mind listening to their kids sing over and over again, too.

I found a couple albums that I think I will be able to use for a while. Really, truly, the sweetest songs.

Many Hands-Family Music for Haiti
A collection of artists (including They Might Be Giants!) I love this album. Love it. Some of the songs are funky and fun, some are touching and sweet. I also love that children are singing on some of the tracks.

Sunny Day by Elizabeth Mitchell A really nice album of folk tunes with children singing on every track.

I like to sing along sometimes while we are doing our combinations (this only works after a couple weeks of doing the combinations). The kids get confident in their movement and start singing too. Its really cool.

I might go the Disney track at some point for a couple tunes. But I have found a real wealth of music by folk musicians that is appropriate for kids, the kids really like it and doesn't annoy me. Win!

Things I want to add to my predance class in the future?

More props! Flowers, scarves, hoops, jump ropes, things like that.

And tumbling! I never learned to tumble when I was little and it bummed me out when I was older. I can't wait to get my hands on a balance beam and some tumbling mats. I will have to bring in a tumbling teacher at first to help me learn to teach rolls properly (nothing too hard, but I want to make sure I am teaching it right!) I am really looking forward to adding this aspect to our class.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I so love that you're teaching little ones - my niece loved her classes when she was little! You might want to look into Dan Zanes for music....he does wonderful music! Lots of different vibes and feels. Keep up the excellent work and PLEASE keep on posting - I look forward to it!
    -Amanda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda! Thanks for the comment! Its good to hear from you. :-) I will for sure look into Dan Zanes! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete