Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Parrot Intelligence

Indiana Jones
My last post got me thinking about one of my favorite subjects. Animal intelligence. Especially the intelligence of MY animals :-)

We all look at our dogs and cats and wonder what they are thinking. Our dog, Indy, has a really expressive face and our other dog, Allie, always seems to know when you are feeling sad.

When I got Whiskey a year ago, it was after a lot of research about what kind of parrot to get. The African Grey species won my heart. They are the clearest talkers and the idea of an animal that could say "I love you" was really a charming thought. (Whiskey says "I love you" quite often.)

Allie











Here is a lady whose work I really respect and admire.

After getting Whiskey, I read her book, Alex & ME. It is a wonderful read and I loved it. The thing that blew my mind was how she proposed, in a way, that all animals, not just African Greys, have the ability to think and comprehend. They have WANTS. And her research is repeatable. She has a new bird (Griffin) who is showing similar capabilities.

If you spend enough time with a bird like Whiksey, he WILL start to understand what he is saying. Just like a toddler, he will learn language and communicate with you.  I am not saying that my bird does, I think he just mimics what he hears around the house. We don't spend as much time with his as Dr. Pepperberg spends with her birds. But it is kind of thought provoking...can you say animal rights issue?

No comments:

Post a Comment